Update

Currently working on a 3-D model and animation for the documentary.

Advertisements

Project Credits and Thank yous

The Link

Completed Pipe’s Personality
https://vimeo.com/94864716

Thanks

Filmed in conjunction with the Digital Media Studies Program in the School of Humanities and Human Sciences at The University of Houston – Clear Lake. Special Thanks to Michael Brims, Meisam Hashemi, Jack Moore, Robert Chambliss and Gabriel Bata.

Indebted to George and Michael at SG Price Pipe Organs, Rhonda Furr at Houston Baptist University, Ken Cowan and Daryl Robinson The Shepherd School of Music at Rice University,
Dr. Jerry Waite, organist at Sacred Heart Catholic Church.

A warm thank you to all the supporter, cheerleaders, naysayers and all those who had input and feedback.

I can’t forget my family and Mr. Time Bandit.

Finished Documentary

Tying up loose ends..

I have more to report but getting horizontal is my main priority. I will fill in the details in the a.m. and have a link for you.

Screen Shot 2014-05-08 at 11.32.21 PM

My Project in the Premier Timeline Window

I finished editing. Rendering is another matter. Here’s the status. Yes, I does say 11 hours.

Encoder

Encoder

My Learning Curve

The Old Days…

I have not edited video in twenty years. A classmate asked me last semester, “What program did you use back then?” My professor and I laughed. I shyly said “None”. and continued to tell the younger student about Betamax tape and linear editing from machine to machine. This process was destructive and degenerated the quality every time an edit occurred. That did not make me feel old but just a little concerned about my learning curve.

Fast-Forward to the Present….

Since I have an Adobe Creative Cloud Account, I am using Premier Pro. I have finally gotten all my resources in my project file. Making sense of the workspace has taken a little longer than anticipated. This morning I made a trip to the library; and YES!; there still is a physical place and real books on the subject of this software. Realizing my limitations, I have found that just reading a chapter or two from a couple of books that I will be able to conquer these limitations and produce the best possible video that I can. Godspeed….

Recent Activity

An interview took place on Saturday. Instead of using the auto white balance, I tried the old school way. This involved putting a sheet of paper in front of the camera and measuring it. I was very disappointed in the results and will follow the professor suggestion of sticking with the auto setting.

Monday and Tuesday, I spent five hours on ingesting video with Adobe Prelude. This application allows the creation of a Rough Cut. Tags were added to each cut to describe what it contained. Then the Rough Cut was exported to Premier Pro.

I use a Nikon D5100 for capturing my video. Two recurring problems have been exposure spikes and headroom. The class helped research these problems and these are the causes:

  • While shooting video, the exposure must be locked. Otherwise, the camera is constantly adjusting for metering the exposure.
  • There are two SMALL white lines on each side of the LCD screen that indicate actually framing for video.

I had a shoot scheduled with the owner of the pipe organ in construction. Solving the problems I encountered has re-framed my attitude about having an interview  cancelled last week. I feel confident in getting the best interview with the most important person.

I want to one of my intended outcomes for this course. I think getting certified for Adobe Premier might have been too ambitious. Instead I would like to focus on entering the Gulf Coast Film and Video Festival. More to come later.

This weekend.

I shot two interviews and recorded with my new Zoom. I still have not watched or listened to all of my footage. I need to work on focus more. I have a trip planners to the workshop on Friday to interview the owner of the pipe organ that is being built.

This week…

Research and Pre-production

I finished the second segment of my script, the shot list for those two segments and the questions for my first interview this weekend. I also have a planned shoot at the workshop where my friend is building the pipe organ for the convention in 2016.

I practiced setting up  the lights and camera for the interviews. I listened to audio tests for different mics that I recorded at my mom’s church. I was not happy with the on-camera mic, the lavaliere mic nor the condenser mic.  So, I ordered the Zoom H4N Handy Portable Digital Recorder today.  Last weekend, I went to see some friends play music and one of them is the sound man for the Houston Grand Opera. He told me that this little device would do the trick. This is the same device Professor Brims recommended. Imagine that!!  Below is a shot I took of the Zoom H4N attached to the ceiling.

DSC_0093a

I visited the American Guild of Organist website to verify that their convention will be held in here in 2016. Since my last I visited, the site had been updated  and could not find the information. I called the office in New York City and started asking questions about statistics about obsolete instruments. I got a call back from one of the officers and we talked for about 20 minutes. I did not receive the information I was looking for but came away with some fresh ideas.